Discover 9 awesome adventures in Walvis Bay
Walvis Bay is is situated on the western coast of Namibia and is known for its natural harbor, which is one of the deepest and most well-protected harbours in Africa. The city's name, "Walvis Bay," translates to "Whale Bay" in English, referencing the bay's historical importance as a whaling station.
1. Dolphin and Seal Cruises: One of the most popular attractions in Walvis Bay is taking a boat cruise to see dolphins and seals in their natural habitat. These cruises often include opportunities for birdwatching and even interactions with playful dolphins.
2. Pelican Point Lighthouse: Visit the iconic Pelican Point Lighthouse located on a narrow sandspit. It's a great spot for photography, and you should spot seals and flamingos in the area.
3. Dune 7: This is one of the highest sand dunes in the world, and it's a great place for some thrilling dune-bashing or sandboarding. The views from the top are breathtaking.
4. Quad Biking & kayaking: Explore the desert landscapes around Walvis Bay on a quad bike. Guided tours take you through dunes and gravel plains, providing an exhilarating experience. Rent a kayak and paddle through the calm waters of the lagoon. This gives you a unique perspective of the coastal area and its wildlife.
5. Walvis Bay Waterfront: The waterfront area has a mix of shops, cafes, and restaurants. It's a great place to enjoy a meal while watching the ocean and observing the activities at the harbour.
6. Flamingo Tours: Walvis Bay is known for its large population of flamingos. You can take a guided tour to see these elegant birds up close and learn about their behaviour and habitat.
7. Sandwich Harbour: Located about 80 km south of Walvis Bay, the area is within the Erongo Region. The bay opens to the north and is about 4.2 km long and 4 km wide. Formerly the bay was moderately-sized commercial port based around whaling and small-scale fishing, but it is now best known for its birdlife in the lagoon to the south of the bay.
8. Walvis Bay Museum: If you're interested in learning about the history and culture of the region, the Walvis Bay Museum is a worthwhile visit. It features exhibits on the area's maritime history, local indigenous cultures, and more.
9. Birdwatching: Walvis Bay is a paradise for birdwatchers due to its diverse avian population. Bring your binoculars and explore the various bird species in the area, including the famous pink flamingos and pelicans.
Remember that some activities might be weather-dependent, so it's a good idea to check in advance and plan accordingly. Whether you're interested in outdoor adventures, wildlife encounters, or simply relaxing by the ocean, Walvis Bay has something to offer for every type of traveler. With its stunning landscapes, diverse wildlife, and unique natural features, Walvis Bay offers plenty of opportunities for photography enthusiasts.
SLEEP @ FLAMINGO VILLA BOUTIQUE HOTEL
Flamingo Bay Boutique Hotel boasts one of the most spectacular views of the Walvis Bay lagoon and beautiful sunsets over the sea with the peaceful Flamingos doing their “flamingo shuffle” for entertainment.
SLEEP @ IRIS BOUTIQUE HOTEL
Overlooking the Walvis Bay lagoon, The Iris Boutique Hotel offers 12 exclusive rooms, a restaurant, a bar and a wine cellar. Guests can enjoy breakfast in the restaurant each morning and there is an à la carte restaurant in the hotel.
EAT @ FLAMINGO BAY RESTAURANT
The Flamingo Bay Restaurant offers the best fine dining cuisine in Namibia and is also open to the general public. Guests can choose from a perfectly selected A-la-Carte menu with tastes of the Mediterranean and Europe and infused with local Namibian cuisine accompanied by the best selection of South African wines.
PLAY @ MAT-TRAVEL TOURS & SAFARIS
A boutique tour and safari operator, offering tours in Namibia, Botswana, and South Africa. Mat-Travel offers custom-curated travel experiences in Southern Africa as well as fixed departure tours. Their local experience combined with our international partnerships with agents makes Mat-Travel your ideal African Safari partner. Whether you are looking for a luxury travel experience or wild remote camping their team at Mat-Travel will be able to assist you.